The Ultimate Honey Cake

My friend, May first introduced this delish cake to me one morning when we were in design school. I swore it was one of my favourite &...


My friend, May first introduced this delish cake to me one morning when we were in design school. I swore it was one of my favourite "breakfast" that she sometimes brought me ever since the first. She used to buy them from a local Singapore bakery and they were super moist and soft. Thinking back, I decide to bake one since I am unable to find such sweets in Sydney and that was when I chanced upon Smitten Kitchen's recipe.

Honey Cake (make 1 loaf pan)

210 grams all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
120 ml olive oil
120 ml honey (for this round, I used ginger honey which I bought from Melbourne)
150 grams caster sugar
45 grams brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
120 ml warm coffee or strong tea (for this round, I used ceylon tea)
30 ml rye or whiskey

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease the loaf pan with cooking spray or you can do as I did, lining the pan with baking sheets. 

2. In a large mixing bowl, sift flour. Whisk in baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and ground allspice. Mix well.

3. Add in olive oil, honey, caster sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, coffee or tea and rye or whiskey. Using an electric mixer, gently whisk all ingredients together until a thick batter is formed. If you are not using an electric mixer, just slowly whisk them well.

4. Pour the batter into greased loaf pan and bake it for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean or when the cake center springs back when you gently touch it.

5. Let cake stand for 10 minutes before removing from loaf pan.

Sprinkle with more honey and eat it while it is warm. Enjoy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments